26 February 2009

water restrictions

After I got home last night and catching the last few minutes of american idol, I also watched the first few minutes of the local news. (Which by the way I really miss watching in Peru!) The story that caught my eye was about the new water restrictions being enforced in Folsom, CA.

I know about water restrictions and was curious what type of restrictions are adopted in a state which by comparison, has a lot of water. The restrictions have to do with landscape watering. The city will being to monitor which days you water on and if your house address is an even number, you can water certain days, and odd numbers have their reserved days. So essentially, there is water, they just want people to be more mindful of how it is being used.

Inside, I could only chuckle. For almost a year in Peru, my water was shut off by 3pm - daily! If you were to try the tap, nothing would come out. I would set my alarm to return to my house about a half hour before in order to fill the tea kettle for hot water and a bucket for washing dishes later along with a few other pots in case I wanted to cook something.

I kind of hated this time because it seemed to attract a lot of flies! The dirty dishes would often sit in the sink overnight and the first thing I would do upon waking up (after starting the coffee) was wash dishes. I just couldn't stand to go to bed with a full sink. But sometimes, there just wasn't any more water. Nothing seemed to ever feel really clean because you wanted to use as little water as possible. Many nights I chose not to cook because I didn't want to clean up afterward.

What I learned to appreciate were Sundays and Mondays. After church on Sundays, I had a window of time that the water would still be on. I would rush home to use my time to cook or bake something special that day. The entire day on Monday would be dedicated to my kitchen until the water shut off at 3pm of course.

Water restrictions in Folsom...we'll see if it helps!

No comments: