09 February 2009

Test of Patience

So maybe I haven't been as good at writing as I thought I might be with the start of this New Year. But if you will allow me the pleasure of writing about some of my daily occurrences and happenings, it may help me even if it doesn't you.

Today, my patience was tested. I decided to get a last cut & color here in Peru. I went to the salon I have gone to over the last years. I usually visit twice a year so often I get the lecture of how I should have returned sooner. But, they remember me and I don't usually have to explain myself much. I just tell them what I want and the gal did it without a lot of questions.

Today was different. The same gal wasn't there to do my hair. Gal #2 seemed nice and friendly so I was happy to have her help me. Except once she started, I found her unsure of herself and doing things that I later questioned.

While sitting in the seat, I couldn't help but think how disappointing it is to go to a place where you feel as though you are known and you know them - only to realize it is all different. You have to explain yourself, question things, and most of all, have patience. Gal #2 took twice or three times as long to do what I asked for. She looked for reassurance repeatedly. I had to settle into a place in my heart that I did not grow frustrated but instead understood it was okay to slow down and chat a bit. When I left, I gave her a kiss on the cheek, a normal Peruvian goodbye for a friend, but not super traditional for your hairstylist. I didn't even think about it, I just did.

Now as I write this, I understand the lesson. I will face these same feelings in less than 10 days. I will return to a place I left when I was known and I knew others only to find that I have to exaplin myself, question things and most of all have patience. Hmmm...interesting.

No comments: