23 October 2006

My Knees Went Weak

I was on one of my routine visits to Wongs which is my supermercado favorito. I wanted to pick up a few things I needed for the rest of the month. Semola took me down an aisle I usually frequent only when buying rice or the occasional lasagna noodles. Before I made it 10 steps, my eyes were drawn to an unbelievable sight.

There are many things one chooses to go without when they live in an another country. Granted, any of you who have shopped with me, packed with me or had the extreme pleasure of taking me to the airport while my suitcases go to the throne of judgment - the airport scale - you are the people that know I do bring the things I know I will want to use here and simply cannot buy. There are such favorites as: pure maple syrup, red lentils, brown sugar, peanut butter chips, and a variety of spices. But one thing I do not often tote with me from sea to shining sea is Mexican salsa.

Don't get me wrong, when I can, I visit all the Chipotle's, Baja Fresh, and Chevy's possible. I get my fill of chips and salsa; all the while remembering that I gave up those delicious chips as one of the forbidden frituras. When I was in Ecuador, my friends and I did everything possible to track down the Taco Bell that was said to be in Guayaquil. Laura even smuggled Pace Picante Sauce back across the border and served it as a delicacy at Bible Study one night.

But my friends, I must confess...Old El Paso Salsa has made it to Peru!!! And not even just a few dusted covered bottles grace the shelves of the supermarket. There are muchas! It comes in HOT, Medium and mild for the variety of heat tolerance. Sure, I know you know this, but I must remind you of the novelty of bottled salsa.

Hear me now, I don't think I will ever choose to live without my Peruvian food. I wonder if God has me move to yet another country, would I tote the treasures of Peruvian gastronomia across fronteras? I don't last three days in the US without craving my Seco de Carne with arroz and yuca, sprinkled with jugo de limon laced with rocoto. Yo amo la comida peruana.

But...Old El Paso Salsa?!? I confess, the $5 bottle did not sway me. The HOT salsa made a jump for my cart and the smile could not be wiped off my face. And when I thought about sitting with a good movie and a bowl of chips and salsa...my knees went weak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice the read that another foreigner felt in love with our cousine =)