16 October 2006

Love Like Oil

I am always fascinated by the great characters in the Bible. Today, I came across yet another. I was studying this morning about the woman who broke the alabaster jar upon the feet of Jesus. She had spent a great deal of money...money earned turning her nightly tricks...to buy fragrant oil in a delicately carved alabaster flask. Her intent? To pour out this very costly oil upon the feet of Jesus; feet that had been dirtied by the walk to the home of the Pharisee. This unnamed woman stirred my heart, for she took action on her gratitude for Christ. Oh that I would recognize how many things I have to be grateful for and not just consider my gratitude, but that I would act upon it. As I studied, these words came to me...
I pour out my love like oil
All I can give

I lay at Your feet

The flask has been broken
The oil is freely flowing
Show Your face to me

This is sort of how I feel..."show Your face to me." Like those moments when you just want to fall on your face and cry out for God to show Himself. This woman gave all she could, did all she could and when the Pharisee condemned her, Jesus turned His face to her and acknowledged her FAITH. I feel as though I am doing all I can, giving all I can and I just want Him to turn to me and acknowledge my FAITH even though I have not the feelings.

I want to pour out the love I have for Christ as easily as oil pours out from a flask. I want to give all I can

1 comment:

colombiakim said...

G - I really liked the part about God acknowledging our FAITH and not so much the feeling. I have been struggling lately with the fact of just showing up and if that really glorifies God. But I remember now that faith is trusting that the Lord knows best and sometimes there is joy and emotion that comes with that, and sometimes it is just showing up. Oh that I would pour out my life to give Him the honor and not the satisfaction and emotions that come with the "sacrifice"