07 October 2006

The Ministry of Friendship

Sometimes we wonder in what grandious ways we can minister? We wonder how we can share God's grace and love with others. Sometimes we occupy our time with great events, interesting services and more ways to meet more people. How often do people stop and consider how to minister to those God has already placed in their path?

I am talking about our friends.
Not those people whose paths you cross regularly and you happen to know their name. I am talking about people you have invested in over the years. People you know from way back and have watched them change. People you trust and who trust you - with the good and the difficult.

I am talking about ministering.
Now, I am not necessarily speaking of the times we just kick back and have fun. I am not thinking of how we love when we find new shopping buddies. And I am also not thinking of those we can sit with and sip a rich cup of joe.

I am talking about ministering to our friends.
How many times do we call, not just to chat, but because God gave us a word of encouragement for them? How often do we write down a verse and send it off to someone God placed on our heart? When was the last time we truly tried to minister to even those closest to us?

I suppose I was in need of that today. I needed that person who knew me "back then" and who knows me now. I wanted someone to call and just say, "God placed you on my heart and I wanted to see how you are doing." I wanted to be important to someone today.
Sometimes I feel sad that even some of my closest friends work so hard to minister to so many others and forget about me. Please...this is not a guilt trip! But be encouraged...your friends are your ministry too! Especially those that have chosen to serve God in a faraway location.

Minister to your friends today!

No comments: