09 March 2009

a knock on the door

The other night I was sitting at a friends house and there was a knock on the door. She was expecting more friends to show up. She (and others) yelled from the back of the house "Come In!!!"

I was really caught off guard hearing these yells and the words tumbled from my mouth, "That is so American!" Others heard me and wondered what I was trying to say. To me, it seemed so American, so impersonal, so...rude...to just yell people into the house. No greeting. No effort. No nothing.

I know, this is just the way here. It is not a point of offense but more, it was a surprise. Her friends came in, everyone seemed to greet one another, without the typical kiss on the cheek of course.

Those at the table asked more questions, "Do you always go to the door?" "Is there ever a time that people just walk in the house?" "That isn't common in Peru?" I realized that I had started quite a conversation.

No comments: