22 June 2006

Goodbye, Farewell...

Last night was the last night of my "Gringa Bible Study" for this year. The sad part about the finale is saying goodbye. Several people in the study, due to their teaching schedule, leave at this time of the year. That means...saying goodbye.
As a missionary, you do know that people come and go. You know that once you say "Hello!" to a new friend, you could be saying "Goodbye!" just as quickly. Sometimes, I cannot help but wonder if it is worth it to be real, to get close, to really make a new friend. Of course, I know it is...but I hate to then have to let go.
Faye is moving back to the states with her husband and will be part of a ministry in North Carolina. I value women who don't always have to put their two cents in (probably because I always seem to say too much!) but instead when they open their mouth, they seem to only have pearls of wisdom. Faye has always given us those pearls of wisdom. She will be missed!
Laura is moving back to the states...and really I am in denial. I cannot say that I have a ton of friends here in Peru, but I can tell you that Laura is my friend. We have eaten out, gone to the movies, traveled to other countries, cried, laughed, and so many other things. I will miss driving around looking for a restaurant open before 8pm on a Saturday night with her. I have many fond memories and am sad that we have very few left to make!
My advice? Value the friends you have around you. Cherish the moments you have with them. And when it comes time to say goodbye to one friend, be ready to welcome another.

No comments: