14 June 2006

Delivery

What kinds of things do you call and order by phone? I am not really talking about calling a company and placing an order by phone. I am talking about calling up your local grocer and asking him to bring you some tomatoes. When I am low on coffee, I don't have to head to the store to get more, I simply pick up my phone and dial. And it is not as though I get a hold of customer service and they shuffle me through the marketing speech. "Do you want to supersize that?"
I know in the States you call for things like pizza and maybe chinese food. But here in Peru, I can call for those things and so much more! I call for water (now that really is another story since I never know if they will bring that today or simply "manana"), I can call the drugstore (don't even get me started on what you can buy here that you cannot buy there!), I call for my coffee beans (thanks to Buencafe!), and today I made another deal.
I had bought a jar of honey that I loved! The thing is, this purchase can only be made on Saturday mornings at the organic market. Lucky for them, there is a phone number on their label. I called and asked, "Me puedes traer mas miel?" Their response was to give me the owner's home number and say that I should call the senora to find out. I did so today and we chatted until we came to an agreement. I ordered a bit more than I presently need and she has a great sale already on the books tomorrow.
My friend at Buencafe thanks me endlessly for sending business his way. Everytime people leave the country or I want to send gifts to friends, I turn to my Magdalena Market Coffeeshop. Next time I put in a large order I am going to ask for my free pound of coffee. No punch cards, no receipts to prove I have bought enough to warrant some free coffee. Oh no, I just ask politely, "Me puedes regalar una bolsa?"

1 comment:

Tony Martinez said...

Sounds like you are living the life of pure luxury ;) I know that is not the case...but it is really funny hearing you speak of conveniences. While I was in Lima, I had quite a different experience...so next time I come...I am staying with you!