09 June 2009

beyond

I sense that the word beyond will become more important that I can now fathom. I felt like I needed to get a quick sense about the meaning. The worldly meaning. But, I have a feeling that by the end of this, I will have a better grasp of what God wants to say through the word beyond.

Merriam Webster: from Old English begeondan, from be- + geondan beyond, from geond yond
Date: before 12th century

1 : on or to the farther side : farther
2 : in addition : besides


The Free Dictionary
prep.
1. On the far side of; past: Just beyond the fence.
2. Later than; after: beyond midnight.
3. To a degree that is past the understanding, reach, or scope of: an evil beyond remedy.
4. To a degree or amount greater than: rich beyond his wildest dreams.
5. In addition to: asked for nothing beyond peace and quiet.

adv.
1. Farther along or away.
2. In addition; more: wanted her share but nothing beyond.

n.
1. That which is past or to a degree greater than knowledge or experience; the unknown: "Sputnik, the first satellite to enter the great beyond of space" Dale Russakoff.
2. The world beyond death; the hereafter.

No comments: