17 March 2007

Home Sweet Home

Fernandino invited us to visit his home in Andahuaylas. This was not his parent's home, but his own home! He had worked hard driving taxis around town and saved up his money. His father used the money to buy materials and built a two room adobe house. One room is the kitchen and the other, the bedroom.

After a 15 minute mototaxi ride, we walked up the side of the mountain. As we got higher and higher the view grew only more incredible. We told Dino that people would pay a pretty penny for property like this!



The entire time we were walking, he continued to say, "I never would have dreamed you would come to my house." I even pinched his arm a few times so he knew he was not dreaming! His humble home was very inviting. There is no running water, no electricity. He cooks by firewood, uses the neighbor's water to wash dishes and I forgot to ask about the bathroom! While we visited he shared that he hopes when people see what he has and where he lives that they will understand the God does indeed bless people. All he has is from God and his passionate desire is to share the love of Jesus with people in Andahuaylas.

2 comments:

AboliShame said...

Gretchen! We got your mailer and are honored you remembered us in your prayers!
Of course we will pray for you! We would love to make it to Sac to see you so you could meet our new Will (15 mos). Rebeccah and he are the coolest!
Spring is crazy time for us with many camping plans and I have finals during the usual time. Mel and I are both in school (still).
I am thrilled however to get back in touch with you. I miss our good times (with Joel too!) and I am so blessed to hear from you!
take care, and I would love to continue our conversations on here.
Your brother in Christ,
Bryan

Gretchen Noelle said...

So bummed I did not catch this until I already got back to Peru! Lo siento mucho! I hope all are well and hope to keep in touch! Blessings!